Data Privacy and Security
Education Law §2-d Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security for
Canton Central School District
Parents (includes legal guardians or persons in parental relationships) and Eligible Students (student 18 years and older) can expect the following:
- A student’s personally identifiable information (PII) cannot be sold or released for any commercial purpose. PII, as defined by Education Law § 2-d and FERPA, includes direct identifiers such as a student’s name or identification number, parent’s name, or address; and indirect identifiers such as a student’s date of birth, which when linked to or combined with other information can be used to distinguish or trace a student’s identity. Please see FERPA’s regulations at 34 CFR 99.3 for a more complete definition
- The right to inspect and review the complete contents of the student’s education record stored or maintained by an educational agency.
- This right may not apply to parents of an Eligible Student.State and federal laws such as Education Law § 2-d; the Commissioner of Education’s Regulations at 8 NYCRR Part 121, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA") at 12 U.S.C. 1232g (34 CFR Part 99); Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") at 15 U.S.C. 6501-6502 (16 CFR Part 312); Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment ("PPRA") at 20 U.S.C. 1232h (34 CFR Part 98); the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (“IDEA”) at 20 U.S.C. 1400 et seq. (34 CFR Part 300); protect the confidentiality of a student’s identifiable information.
- Safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices including but not limited to encryption, firewalls and password protection must be in place when student PII is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by NYSED is available at http://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security/student-data-inventory and by writing to: Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234
- The right to have complaints about possible breaches and unauthorized disclosures of PII addressed. Complaints may be submitted to NYSED at http://www.nysed.gov/data-privacysecurity/report-improper-disclosure by mail to: Ron Burke, 99 State Street Canton, NY 13617, by email to [email protected] or by telephone at (315)386-8561
- To be notified in accordance with applicable laws and regulations if a breach or unauthorized release of PII occurs.
- Educational agency workers that handle PII will receive training on applicable state and federal laws, policies, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices that protect PII
- Educational agency contracts with vendors that receive PII will address statutory and regulatory data privacy and security requirements.
 “Parent” means a parent, legal guardian, or person in parental relation to a student. These rights may not apply to parents of eligible students defined as a student eighteen years or older. “Eligible Student” means a student 18 years and older. 2 “Personally identifiable information,” as applied to student data, means personally identifiable information as defined in section 99.3 of title thirty-four of the code of federal regulations implementing the family educational rights and privacy act, section twelve hundred thirty-two-g of title twenty of the United States code, and, as applied to teacher or principal data, means “personally identifying information” as such term is used in subdivision ten of section three thousand twelve-c of this chapter.
 Information about other state and federal laws that protect student data such as the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment, and NY’s Personal Privacy Protection Law can be found at http://www.nysed.gov/student-data-privacy/federal-laws-protect-student-data.
- Castle Learning
- Delta Math
- Ed Helper
- Generation Genius
- Go Guardian
- Google Education Suite
- Learning Ally
- Learning A-Z
- Microsoft Office
- Mystery Science
- PLTW (Project Lead The Way)
- Read & Write for Google Chrome
- Renaissance Learning
- Smart Notebook
- Sum Dog
- Super Teacher Worksheets