6.5 Submission of Questions and Propositions at the Annual Meeting and Election and Special District Meetings
Questions and Propositions at the Annual Meeting and Election
The following rules and regulations shall apply to the submission of the questions or propositions at the annual meeting and election of this School District:
- Questions or propositions shall be submitted by petition directed to the Clerk of the School District and shall be signed by twenty-five (25) qualified voters, or five percent (5%) of the registered voters of the District who voted in the previous annual election of Board members, whichever is greater.
- A separate petition shall be required for each question or proposition.
- Each petition shall be filed with the Clerk of the School District. Petitions relating to an Annual Election must be filed not later than sixty (60) days preceding the election at which the question or proposition is to be voted upon.
- Questions or propositions submitted in accordance with these rules and accepted will be printed on the ballot for the voting machine. The School District, however, retains the right to reject petitions as permitted by law, including but not limited to instances where such petitions are advisory in nature or beyond the power of the voters.
- The Board of Education shall cause the rules and regulations set forth in this policy to be distributed within the District.
- Nothing herein contained shall affect the nominations of candidates as set forth in the Annual District Election notice pursuant to Education Law Section 2018.
Questions or Propositions to be Submitted at Special District Meetings
The procedure for requesting the Board of Education to call a Special District Meeting to vote on a question or proposition shall be in accordance with subdivisions 2 and 3 of Education Law Section 2008.
Education Law Sections 1703, 2008, 2018, 2035(2) and 2601-a
Adoption Date: February 5, 2015